Apart from most of the group placing impala poop in their mouths just to see who could spit it the furthest (something which we are told is a great fun game that much of the local farming community is keen on as a game), we got to look at a few of the different types of grass that grew in the area, play with wild aloe plants and get some more sunburn...When we return, make sure you keep your eyes open for people who look like us but are a few shades darker in skin tone. :P Yes all you mom types out there, we are wearing sunscreen, you just don't understand the incredible power the sun has down here! five minutes is all it takes!
We were assigned our D-groups today, Allie and I will be leading one with about 7 girls. Please pray for us, that we would get to know each other well, that we would connect and that God would really use our conversations and activities together to grow and shape each of us more into the person He wants us to be. When I say that we are the 'leaders' it really means that we will be responsible for starting conversations and holding each other up in prayer, other than that it will be a collective effort of sharing and being open with each other. I am excited for this chance to dig into the lives of these other girls and I truly look forward to what God holds in store for us for the rest of this semester.
Many of you may already know from facebook photos and status updates, but last night, in our intercultural communication class we had a rather unique snack time. We got to try Mopane worms! Creatures which are collected, prepared and sold by the bucket loads! They can get up to several inches long during their life, they are taken from trees that they live on, the guts are squeezed out of them, they are boiled and the set in the sun to dry before being sold to many people who enjoy them for their nutritional benefits. They are kind of like beef jerky in the texture, and they smell something like a mix of old barn, petting zoo, and poop. But they mostly taste the way an old barn smells - I hope that makes sense to most of you because it is about the only way I could describe it.
I have a friend from the summer whose mom has breast cancer and has recently gone into the hospital and is really not doing well, Would you please all join with me in praying for her, and for her family. For healing and for peace. The mom has been fighting with this for a long time, and from what I understand this is the worst that it has ever been. I know that prayer works, that God delights in answering prayers, and that He desires we come together in agreement and that we commit ourselves to prayer. Please would you do this with me.
Love you all, thank you for prayers and support.
No comments:
Post a Comment